Bacon Sushi with Sriracha Mayo
Ingredients - Serves 6
- 2 cups Sushi Rice
- 1 and 1/2 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- dash of Salt
- 1 lb package Bacon
- 1 Jalapeño (seeded, cut length wise into thin strips)
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Avocado
- 1 package Nori (Seaweed Sheets)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- Optional - Wasabi, Pickled Ginger
This recipe went through several evolutions before reaching what I think is a pretty darn good sushi roll. I started out with the thought that candy sushi would be awesome. It was not. It was sickly sweet and we spent the rest of the day in a sugar coma. Then I thought I would try fruit sushi. Wasn't feeling it. I finally gave in to my carnivore husband and came up with this bacon sushi recipe. I've got to admit, it's pretty nummy.
Please, have no fear. Sushi is VERY easy to make and you do not need any special equipment or tools, although a sushi mat might make it a little easier. This can also be made the night before and refrigerated.
Directions - Prep: 40mins, Cook:0mins, Ready:40mins
- Combine sushi rice and water in pot and bring to soft boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until moisture absorbed.
- While rice is simmering, in a small saucepan heat rice vinegar, brown sugar and salt in a small saucepan until both are dissolved. It should only take about 2 minutes.
- Once the sushi rice is done, mix in the vinegar solution and allow to cool. It should be warm but cool enough to touch.
- While the rice cools, prepare bacon per package directions.
- While bacon cooks, seed and cut jalapeño into thin strips. Slice avocado and roll cream cheese into a thin tube.
- On a sheet of wax paper or sushi mat place one sheet of nori shiny side down. Spread a layer of sushi rice mixture evenly leaving about 1 inch edge. Place the bacon, jalapeño, cream cheese, green onion and avocado in the center of the sushi rice as pictured to the right.
- Place your thumbs on the back of mat, start rolling away from you while using your other fingers to keep the filling tucked in. Finish rolling tightly and lightly press the roll together. Slice into 8-10 pieces.
- Mix mayonnaise and Sriracha. Crumble some bacon over sushi and drizzle with Sriracha Mayo.
- Serve with soy sauce for dipping and wasabi and pickled ginger if desired.